How to work a Mill

 




Mill has axes, the Handle at the end moves the table towards and away from you. 


This handle moves the table forwards and backwards relative to the operator. 


The mill also has a Z axis that raises and lowers the joint of the table. Clockwise raises the table and counterclockwise lowers the table. 




We can just flip things around when we're done to have a good clean cut. The on-ooff switch is here and the chuck is empty, so we can fit into cullets. 


Cullet is the thing to find into the mill. Put the cullt into the chuck and press the cullet into the machine. 



Keep your hand on the cullet and make sure it doesn't fall out. We can grab a wrench and tighten it from the top. The maching has a brake on with in and out position to make cullet free to move. 

To use the machine, we must put a part into the vice. 


To use this, we need to put a part into the vice, which holds anything to work on, which is here. 



We will be using parallel as spacers to hold grips, whatever need to get in place. 




With this tool here, I can open and close the vice:


Before starting, make sure brake is off, and turn the machine on. 


We use an edgy finder and wait for it to slow down shimmying until it's perfectly centered. 


We'll wait until the edge finder changers, then we zero that point and change the tick mark, move things away, and turn it off. 
 

Each tickmark on the dial is 1/1000 of an inch. Then I loosen it up and se a point so I know where the zero is (or digitally market it). 

After I find that zero point, check it again to make sure it's at the correct point. If the cullet gets stuck, give the top a little bit of a tap to prevent from damaging the threads .Flukes are suitable for cutting for soft material and steel would have more flukes. We line the keyway up with the key. This is a fluke:




And we lines things up so the 2 flukes line up with the center of the material. We zero the fluke against the top of the material, as follows: 






I put a paper under the fluke and shake it until tool grabsb on paper, so in that case, we know that the fluke is right on top of the vice. Record everyp point.

Bring everything to the zero point, and then after which you can make your cut, based on where you marked. On a digital machine, it will be marked for you. 
I will raise a quarter of an inch. One turn on the Z acis pivot is 0.1 inch so Ill do 2.5 turns.

I'll be brining everything x and ywise back to the zero point. 

I can turn the machine on one direction and start making the cut, walking the part into the blade. I move this a few times, and then slowly move the blade until we're done. We slowly cut the mill in the axis where we want to cut it in. and do math to figure out how much we want to cut, making iterations every time. We turn off the maching and pull the hand brake. 





We will finally lose the vice and slide the part out. 
Use Brushes and WD-40 to clean up the table and be courteous to the paople who are after you. Leave things even better than found. 

Comments

Popular Posts